Thursday 2nd August
Fashion at Hackney House
DAY TIME: Fashion at Hackney House will showcase East London’s thriving fashion sector and why Hackney is central to London's fashion industry. A major announcement about the fashion industry in Hackney will be made on the day.
Open from 12noon until 11.30pm
12noon – 5pm Exhibition & Workshops including a Networking Reception from 3pm.
7pm - exclusive after-show party with live music from Polar Bear at 8pm followed by DJ Mikki Most.
12.00pm – 4.00pm Exhibition & Workshops
Exhibition showcasing all aspects of the fashion industry located in Hackney and east London from world-class education and training to retail and media, through high-end design, manufacture, tailor-made business support and digital marketing.
Many aspects of the exhibition will be interactive, with participants running workshops and demonstrations:
- On display from London College of Fashion will be the work of recent Graduate BA students
- The Designer-Manufacturer Innovation Support Centre AKA DISC have commissioned LCF students to make short films about the work they do in helping educate about manufacturing in the UK
- Experience fashion film from the creative minds of London with the BFC’s Film Initiative Fash/On currated by Director Kathryn Ferguson
- Get yourself personalised laser-cut jewellery from Tatty Devine’s pop up workshop
- See sustainable garment production in practice demonstrated by a workforce of knitting grannies from The North Circular, the ethical fashion label co-owned by Lily Cole.
- Here Today, Here Tomorrow will also be creating a display that explains how to build a business on personalised production
- See fashion come to Digital life with displays by Augmented Reality specialists Holition and a special collaboration with designer Richard Nicoll
- Create your own silk scarf with the help of Patternity and their pop-up silk scarf painting shop.
- Explore the NUJI website on an installation of Computers, create your own wish list and discover how social media can influence retail
- See how designer Tessa Edwards creates statement jewellery from crystal resin
- Milliner Piers Atkinson is to create an interactive installation of his infamous hats
- Experience the world of WAH Nails in their pop-up nail bar
- We also have commissioned William Richard Green to design T-shirts for Hackney House Volunteers and Tote Bags for guests designed by Richard Nicoll
Networking Reception 3pm – 6pm
Hosted by Manhattan Lofts, developer of the Hackney Central Fashion Hub. A great opportunity to meet and mingle with exhibitors and other professionals from the local fashion industry including local designers, manufacturers, fashion media and bloggers, digital technology specialists, and many others.
3.30pm - Lynne Murray and Jonathan Chippindale of Holition will be talking use through the Augmented Reality technology they create for Retail and how it is an effective way of engaging with consumers
4pm - Wendy Malem, London College of Fashion and Centre for Fashion Enterprise
Wendy Malem is not only the Dean of LCF Graduate School but also the Director of the Centre for Fashion Enterprise as well as the driving force behind the new EU-funded Designer-Manufacturer Innovation Support Centre based in Hackney. A recognised fashion designer, academic and researcher, she has high-level strategic experience both within the international designer sector and more recently in higher education.She is responsible for strategic development of the Graduate School as well as heading up “Enterprise” for LCF. This includes directing design and enterprise while focussing on professionalising and innovating the global fashion industries.
Hear Wendy talk about the borough’s thriving fashion sector and why Hackney is central to London's fashion industry.
4.15pm - Special Guests Speakers
Polar Bear / DJ Mikki Most
Doors 7pm with music from 8pm
Award-winning and Mercury Music Prize nominees, Polar Bear, bring experimental jazz to Hackney House tonight followed by DJ Mikki Most – perfect for our Fashion at Hackney House evening party. Eveyone registering for Fashion Day will be invited to this exclusive after-show party.